Sometimes you might want to do a number of different envelope transfers all at once–to close out a month, for example. Here’s a quick tip on how to do that in a single transaction.
Rather than using individual envelope transfers to move money between your envelopes, use a single “Add Money or Receive Income” type transaction.
- Fill in the date of your adjustment transaction
- Pick an Account if you’re on the Plus or Premium plan (doesn’t matter which, since we’re going to make the total come out to be zero)
- Put in something for the “Who” field, e.g., “Bulk Envelope Transfers”
- Choose the “Specify…” option.
- Then, choose the “Add a Specific Amount” action for each envelope you want to adjust. Use positive numbers to transfer money into an envelope, negative to transfer money out.
- Make sure the “Total Income/Adjustment” at the bottom is 0.
- When you’ve got the right amounts in each envelope, save the transaction.
That’s it! This method saves you from having to do individual envelope transfers in and out.