We’re always working to update our apps and content for you. Check out our updated article in the Goodbudget Help Center.
Q: It’s the middle of the month and I want to start using EEBA. Do I need to wait till the end of the month, or can I get started with EEBA today?
The best time to start a budget is now. Whether you’re just tracking your expenses, budgeting off your income, or using Accounts in EEBA to manage every dollar, you can get started with EEBA today. Read on to learn how.
I just want to track my expenses in EEBA.
Start by creating your Envelopes and then funding them on the Add Money / Receive Income page. You can fund your Envelopes to full, or fund them partially based on when you’re starting in the month. For example, if you’re starting half-way through the month you could fund your Envelopes to half their budgeted amount.
As you record transactions you’ll be able to track your expenses in EEBA. When the month ends, fund your Envelopes again to start the new month.
I want to budget off my income.
For budgets based off income, it’s best to start from your last paycheck.
- Start by creating your Envelopes to represent your budget.
- Then, head to the Add Money / Receive Income page and choose “Specify” to fund your Envelopes from your last paycheck.
- Finally, record the transactions that have happened since your last paycheck, and continue to record transactions as the month goes on.
When your next paycheck arrives, head back to the Add Money / Receive Income page to allocate it to your Envelopes.
If you have questions about multiple or irregular incomes, follow the guide here.
I’m using Accounts with EEBA.
If you’re starting with Accounts, it’s best to set that up first.
- Start by entering all of your Accounts. As you do, EEBA will adjust your Unallocated Money to match.
- Then, create your Envelopes to represent your budget.
- After that, head to the Distribute from Unallocated page to fund your Envelopes from your Unallocated Money.
From there you can record transactions and keep track of your spending. As you receive income, keep it in your Unallocated Money. At the beginning of the next month, head back to the Distribute from Unallocated page to fund your Envelopes again.
For more information on how to start with Accounts, follow the guide here.