This is the fourth edition of our occasional What We’re Perusing newsletter. This time, we’ll take a look at prison fines and who moves up the economic ladder. We’ll also learn about how some people are approaching the issue of reparations.
- PODCAST: Fine and Punishment: Prison fines and fees are used to pay for basic government functions | NPR’s Planet Money (21 min)
- Hear about how former prisoners are billed for government services, including ones they didn’t use themselves.
- ARTICLE: Here’s who moves up the economic ladder | CNBC
- Rags-to-riches tales tend to be rare in real life. Learn about what factors make it more likely for those stories to happen.
- ARTICLE: Donor Gives 6 Figure Amount in Reparations | Courier Journal
- Read about how a Kentucky nonprofit received a donation from someone who learned their ancestor enslaved Black people.
Be well, and budget well,
The Goodbudget Team