This is the fourth edition of our occasional What We’re Perusing newsletter. This time, we’ll take a look at prison fines and who moves up the economic ladder. We’ll also learn about how some people are approaching the issue of reparations.
- PODCAST: Fine and Punishment: Prison fines and fees are used to pay for basic government functions | NPR’s Planet Money (21 min)
- Hear about how former prisoners are billed for government services, including ones they didn’t use themselves.
- ARTICLE: Here’s who moves up the economic ladder | CNBC
- Rags-to-riches tales tend to be rare in real life. Learn about what factors make it more likely for those stories to happen.
- ARTICLE: Donor Gives 6 Figure Amount in Reparations | Courier Journal
- Read about how a Kentucky nonprofit received a donation from someone who learned their ancestor enslaved Black people.
Be well, and budget well,
The Goodbudget Team
P.S. For this series, you can learn more about it, and read all the posts.